This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividend and CG tax in accumulation funds

FigNewton
Dividend and CG tax in accumulation funds

Postby FigNewton » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:30 am

If I hold OEIC accumulation fund (e.g. Vanguard FTSE U.K. All Share Index Unit Trust acc) I must yearly report dividends for tax, by looking up the correct amount in the Distribution Table of Vanguard's Long Annual Report. For example, this was 700.9024p per share payable 31/12/17 for Group 1 shares (units purchased before 1 November 2016). Suppose I have 1000 Group 1 shares so the dividend is £7009.

The record date is 31/10/17. The ex-dividend date is 1/11/17. The payable date is 31/12/17. Depending on when I sell the shares I can be in one of two situations
  • (a) owing dividend tax on £7009, but I may increase my basis cost by the same amount when calculating the gain for CGT, or
  • (b) having no dividend tax liability, but a smaller cost basis on which to figure capital gains.
My Question is: what is the lastest date in the 2017-18 tax year that I could have sold my shares so as to be in situation (b) rather than (a). Is it 30/10/17, 31/10/17 or perhaps 30/12/17? I may prefer (b) since dividend tax is at 32.5%, but the capital gains may fall within my £11,300 tax-free allowance.

Though not a tax matter, I am also curious to know if anyone can explain why the price of these accumulation units does not fall at the ex-dividend date (as looking back at price history seems to indicate).

Return to “Income Tax”