This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

moved in 2014, declaring tax income now...

latelatelate
moved in 2014, declaring tax income now...

Postby latelatelate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Hello,
I'm French and since august 2014 when i moved to London I never declared my income. I m not even registered to hmrc yet.(i am mainly self employed)
The reason for that is I never earned enough to pay taxes and wasn't aware of the fines(in France if you're not eligible for paying taxes, you can't be fined, which seems only logic)

I wanted to put some order in my situation and discovered I could be charged up to £1600 for each year I didn't declare!(£4800 in total!)

I really don't know my options and I'm very worried for the future.

Thank you for your help

bd6759

Re: moved in 2014, declaring tax income now...

Postby bd6759 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Failure to Notify (FTN) applies when you fail to tell HMRC that you are liable to pay tax. Penalties are based on the tax unpaid. If you have no liability, there are no penalties.

The fines you refer to are penalties for not delivering a tax return within the time allowed. That only applies if HMRC have given you a notice telling you to submit a return.

Return to “Income Tax”