This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property probate value - tenant-in-common

redchris111
Property probate value - tenant-in-common

Postby redchris111 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello

My sibling and I are joint executors for the wills of parents. My father is in a care home and my mother has recently been diagnosed as terminally ill and has a few months to live. They own a property outright (i.e no outstanding mortgage) as tenants-in-common rather than joint tenants.

When my mother dies my father (assuming he is still alive) will have his share of the property while my mother's share will be disposed of under the terms of the will. We will need to get my mother's estate valued and submitted to HMRC for the purposes of inheritance tax. So my question is do we include the full value of the property in the return to HMRC or 50% i.e my mother's share?

Thanks in advance

Chris

AGoodman

Re: Property probate value - tenant-in-common

Postby AGoodman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Property owned by H&W is generally considered to be taken at the arithmetic proportion of the whole (i.e. 50% of the total value).

The position is not 100% clear as there was a case in 2004 (Arkwright) that muddied the waters - suggesting you might be able to claim a discount as would be the case if the co-owners were not spouses) but HMRC are not going to accept any discount easily. In general, with transferable nil rate bands etc, it usually now makes sense to pass this share to the surviving spouse anyway.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”