This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can declaration of trust change Trust deed

mobile
Can declaration of trust change Trust deed

Postby mobile » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi

What is the difference between a trust deed and declaration of trust? It seems online and many solicitors view the terms interchangeably.

Years ago my parents and I executed what we thought was a declaration of trust confirming our respective shares in our home (20% me 80% parents)- all 3 of us are on the title register. As time passed my parents and I agreed to have a different split (50:50) which involved them gifting me part of their share. We created our own document and signed it confirming the house was held 50:50.

I asked for advice from this board and the general consensus was that a written declaration signed by all 3 parties would be sufficient if ownership was ever challenged by HMRC or the council.

I looked at the original declaration of trust we signed years ago and it turns out that its not a declaration of trust but a trust deed. Despite having 'declaration of trust' as the title the document also says 'signed as a deed and delivered' which then makes it a trust deed? It seems we originally signed a trust deed and on amending our shares we signed a declaration of trust.

I have spoken to solicitors who have offered differing advice about what to do to reflect the new ownership. One has said a new trust deed will need to be drawn up to change the ownership to (50:50) and this would effectively mean the ownership will change to 50:50 only when we sign the trust deed he produces. This would mean the 7 years gift rule will start and it would appear that the ownership changed in 2018 which isn't the case. Another has said I cannot undo the previous trust deed.

What should I be doing to ensure our split is 50:50 and is effective from when we changed ownership to 50:50.

Does anyone know of a lawyer / solicitor that could advise on what the best steps are going to be.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trusts-settlements-and-estates-manual/tsem9520 and https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trusts-settlements-and-estates-manual/tsem9530

AGoodman

Re: Can declaration of trust change Trust deed

Postby AGoodman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:14 pm

A declaration of trust is always a trust deed, a trust deed isn’t necessarily a declaration. In the context you’re talking about, they mean the same thing.

A deed needs to state that it is a deed (as yours does) and be signed by all parties with witnesses.

From what you’ve said, it all sounds fine but I am always nervous about homemade documents (homemade wills are a godsend for lawyers!). I have seen too many horrible mistakes.

It is worth instructing a solicitor properly and giving them the documents to review to check them.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”