This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation of Book Royalty Advance

Mikethebook
Taxation of Book Royalty Advance

Postby Mikethebook » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:37 pm

An amateur writer enters a writing competition and wins a publishing contract with advance royalties, the book to be published two years hence. Obviously, he becomes a professional writer subject to income tax but at what point does he become self-employed and the advance become taxable. Now, when he receives the advance or two years down the road when the book is actually published?

pawncob

Re: Taxation of Book Royalty Advance

Postby pawncob » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:30 pm

This might help@
https://selfpublishingadventures.com/paying-uk-income-tax-on-book-royalties-uk-authors/

Income subject to averaging:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/averaging-for-creators-of-literary-or-artistic-works-hs234-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs234-averaging-for-creators-of-literary-or-artistic-works-2018
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Mikethebook

Re: Taxation of Book Royalty Advance

Postby Mikethebook » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for the links but they don't really address the issue. My question is whether self-employment starts on receipt of a publishing advance or at the point the book is published. I lean towards the latter view since the money received isn't for sales at that time but for sales in the future. But I'm seeking confirmation of this. Averaging is a useful tool but it doesn't help define the date the self-employment begins.

Return to “Income Tax”