This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Car incident loss

flproperty
Car incident loss

Postby flproperty » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 am

Dear all

I have some rental properties which I manage myself.

I use my car on daily basis for all the property management. On one occasion, I was involved in an accident. Although it was not my fault, it is resulted I had to pay the other side's lawyer £7000 as their fee cost.

My solicitor told me I can claim this against my property rental incomes. So just wondering what is the best way to do this.

I appreciate your helps in advance.

Many thanks.

AdamS93

Re: Car incident loss

Postby AdamS93 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 am

The best thing you could do is ask the solicitor under what legislation you can deduct the legal fees from your property income. Ask for a specific reference.

I would consider it very unlikely that it meets the wholly and exclusively test and therefore not deductible from your rental property.

AdamS93

Re: Car incident loss

Postby AdamS93 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

rental property income*.

Return to “Property Taxation”