This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SIPP drawdown

greenjersey
SIPP drawdown

Postby greenjersey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi, I used to take drawdown from my H & L SIPP but when the rules changed I stopped as I figured I could leave my SIPP to my daughter when I die (I'm 75! )as I understand it is outside my estate for I.T. purposes. However i wonder if we are missing a tax advantage. Could I restart drawdown, it is clearly surplus income, and pay the monthly amount into my daughter's SIPP so she can obtain the 20% tax upload? Any thoughts much appreciated.

someone

Re: SIPP drawdown

Postby someone » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:38 pm

You cannot pay in and get the tax advantage. But your daughter can pay in from her own taxed income (which doesn't have to be 'surplus' - she can use gifts from you to subsidise her lifestyle.)

Personally, I'd chose an ISA over a pension if I were a basic rate taxpayer. YMMV.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”