This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Deductible Training

AlexHit01
Tax Deductible Training

Postby AlexHit01 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:03 pm

My situation is that I am self-employed Illustrator (as registered with HMRC) and had been working freelance for an international company for a number of years, they were my only client and so when they went bump in October 2017 I lost my job. I decided to go for a complete career change and started training up to be a childminder. Over those next few months, still falling into the 2017-18 tax year, I did a lot of training that is legally mandatory to become a childminder (Home Base Childcare Aware qualification, Food Hygiene, Paediatric First Aid), however, I didn't officially begin training and taking in money with my business until June 2018 (new tax year, when my books for my new business would begin).

I'm wondering whether I can put my training expenses into my 17-18 accounts, as I believe the training itself would be tax deductible typically and considered "wholly and exclusive" as it is a legal necessity to have these qualification, however, it isn't relevant to the business I was in during that time, or does that not matter? I would really appreciate any guidance with this.

AdamS93

Re: Tax Deductible Training

Postby AdamS93 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am

Unfortunately, the cost is not tax deductible as you have gained a new skill.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim35660

Return to “Income Tax”