This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Regarding if I'll have to pay some sort of tax and my property

georgewoodley
Regarding if I'll have to pay some sort of tax and my property

Postby georgewoodley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Hello there,

I brought my house in March of 2016 which I then knocked down and rebuilt a new build. I spent till Christmas of 2017 till I was able to move in so I moved out of my parents and into my property that was now liveable, I've managed to get everything done and got my completion in November of 2018, I was thinking about selling it about April time next year so that would mean I've owned it for around about 3 year and I've actually lived there for a year and 4 months if I was going to sell it in April that is. This is my first house and my only property. What I was wondering is if I sell my property will I be taxed in some way on it or is that only when you have a second property as this is my first house and main residence?

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Regarding if I'll have to pay some sort of tax and my property

Postby bd6759 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:18 am

You could be liable to income tax on the profits in the same way as any other house builder is.

It will all depend on the precise facts.

AGoodman

Re: Regarding if I'll have to pay some sort of tax and my property

Postby AGoodman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 pm

I believe (but others know better than me) that a lot turns on intent. If a relatively swift sale was always likely to be part of the plan then it seems likely to be income tax - therefore no PPR.

Return to “Property Taxation”