This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Store Credit (self-employed)?

fred_ward
Tax on Store Credit (self-employed)?

Postby fred_ward » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Hello,

I am a sole trader and am currently doing my self-employment tax return. One of my regular gigs is doing copywriting work for a music agency who I invoice monthly.

One month, rather than invoicing the company for a monetary transfer, I instead asked to be paid in store credit. This means that no money entered my bank account that month from the company in question, though I did invoice them for the store credit. I should also note that if you get paid in store credit rather than money then the amount that you receive for your work is slightly higher (about 25%).

My question is - am I to declare none of this money, the amount that I would have been paid if it had been a monetary transfer (as in minus the extra 25%), or the full amount of credit for which I invoiced?

Thanks.

pawncob

Re: Tax on Store Credit (self-employed)?

Postby pawncob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Declare the income you invoiced.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Re: Tax on Store Credit (self-employed)?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Declare the amount you receive. That is the full value of your profits.

Return to “Income Tax”