This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Domicile of dependence

kebata
Domicile of dependence

Postby kebata » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:05 pm

I have a non UK domicile and my wife has a domicile of dependence ( although born in UK) as we were married in 1972. If I predecease my wife does she immediately lose her non UK domicile of dependence and revert to a UK domicile of origin or would she still be regarded as a dependent of mine.

Thank you
Kebata

AGoodman

Re: Domicile of dependence

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Not automatically but she could have acquired a domicile of choice in the UK (or elsewhere) at any time after 1974. If you are living in England, it might be arguable that her domicile of origin revives at some point on account of her having limit connection to your country of origin.

Also remember that deemed domicile now applies for most taxes after 15 years in the UK.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”