This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign Tax Credit Relief - India interest income on savings

sushd
Foreign Tax Credit Relief - India interest income on savings

Postby sushd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Hi,

I am a UK citizen, working and resident in UK.
I have foreign (interest) income in India from savings. The interest income is >£2000. Neither the savings nor the interest income have been transferred to UK.

I am taxed at source by the Indian banks @30%.

Can I claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief on the entire 30% tax that is deducted by Indian Tax authorities?
Or can I claim reflief only on 15% of the income (I believe 15% is the maximum that Indian authorities can deduct under the DTAA between UK and India)?

The reason I am taxed @30% by Indian banks and not @15% is because I have not submitted the DTAA paperwork to Indian banks (annual residency certificate from HMRC).

Thanks in advance.

sushD

sushd

Re: Foreign Tax Credit Relief - India interest income on savings

Postby sushd » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Just wanted to add that I am higher rate tax payer (40%).

AmanSood

Re: Foreign Tax Credit Relief - India interest income on savings

Postby AmanSood » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

You would only be able to claim back the foreign tax credit on the 15% and not the 30%.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”