This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole Trader Working Abroad

Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Sole Trader Working Abroad

Postby katkatkat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Tricky question, is it possible for a UK citizen who has not been living in the UK to register as a sole trader while abroad? The intention would be to live overseas but open a UK bank account and pay UK tax on all income earned as a sole trader. If this is possible, would the sole traders spouse be affected by this. The spouse in not a UK citizen and is living and working outside of the UK (paying tax in the country that they live work in). :)

Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Sole Trader Working Abroad

Postby etf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm

If the individual is non-UK resident and performing all of their self employed work outside the UK, UK income tax should not be due; see HMRC guidance below:

As a non-UK resident you will pay tax on profits:
 from a trade, profession or vocation (business) you carry on in the UK
 from the UK part of a business carried on partly in the UK and partly

However, there are likely to be overseas tax/social security implications and it is suggested good local advice is obtained.

Return to “International Tax”