This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Retaining profits on selling my home-update

neopyrrhus

Postby neopyrrhus » Thu May 15, 2003 11:54 pm

I asked about paying income tax on the profits I make from selling my home and recieved an answer. Please see the question I posted a few days ago entitled 'Retaining profits on selling my home'. Many thanks for the information etc. However, it was assumed that I would be buying another property. This is not the case. I will be investing the cash instead. So, I did want to check that the same answer is valid. Or if by failing to invest in anoter property, I would be liable for income tax on the amount.

topcom

Postby topcom » Fri May 16, 2003 9:08 am

As mentioned in the previous answer you are exempt from all capital gains taxation as you have only used the property for your private dwelling. There is no income tax applicable in the situation you outline.
Regards
Chartertax

Return to “Income Tax”