This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Consultancy as a second income

Basil

Postby Basil » Sat May 31, 2003 12:26 am

I am employed in education in the public sector. Recently I have begiun to undertake, during evenings and weekends, consultancy and performance management assessments. The income from these activities is paid gross and I am responsible for paying income tax myself. At the moment I am earning less than £4000 a year through this route, but hope to increase this when I take early retirement from the 'day job' in five years time. I am a higher rate tax payer and at present include my consultancy earnings on the self assessment form. Could you suggest ways in which I could reduce my tax bill for the consultancy work? For the consultancy work I operate from home - are there any expenses that are deductable for this?

Neale

Postby Neale » Sat May 31, 2003 8:33 am

One consideration might be to incorporate. This would theoretically allow you to benefit from the 0% rate of Corporation tax on the first £10000 profits and then distribute the profits when you are a lower rate taxpayer without further taxation. There are many considerations, including the need to file annual returns at companies house (allow on the turnover envisaged you do not need an accountant).

Mosst importantly planning to ensure you are not caught by IR 35 (which effectively treats you as an employee of the contractor when providing services through a company) is essential before choosing this route. The Revenue's web site has a fair amount of detail.

neale@coules.com

peterscheale

Postby peterscheale » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:59 am

I am in the same situation. I guess it is too late to incorporate for last years tax return! I only had one consutlancy last year, but hope to build up more this year. How much can one offset in terms of use of home facilities, travel costs, marketing, purchase of captial equipment such as computer, scanner etc against the income? I have heard that £2 - £5 per week for rent of space is about the acceptable limit.

Return to “Income Tax”