This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What is the status of loan interest deduction (against rental income) following a remortgage?

stig

Postby stig » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:29 am

In 1989 I purchased a flat for 52K with a mortgage of 40K (ie a 12K cash deposit).

Some years later I rented it out and claimed the mortgage interest as a deduction against rental income.

Last year I remortgaged the flat to raise 60K.

Can I claim any of the interest on this new loan as a deduction against rental income?

If so am I limited to the interest on the amount covering the original loan used to purchase the property?

Or can I claim interest on the amount up to the original purchase price of the property?

Nigel Lord

Postby Nigel Lord » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:36 am

Stig

Interest relief will be restricted to the amount of the new loan used to replace the existing loan, or used to improve/maintain the property.

Nigel Lord
Lord Associates
Taxation & Business Consultants
Caxton House
Old Station Road
Loughton
Essex, IG10 4PE
020 8418 9101 & 07769 931852
mail@lordassociates.co.uk

stig

Postby stig » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:40 am

Nigel

Thanks for the reply. I have been browsing the posts on this site and for a horrible moment thought that by remortgaging I had removed my rights to interest relief altogether.

Stig

stig

Postby stig » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:51 am

Nigel

The additional funds raised from the remortgage were partially used to extend the term of the lease on the property. Does this count as an improvement and would the interest on this component be eligible for use as a deduction?

Thanks

Stig

Nigel Lord

Postby Nigel Lord » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:54 am

Stig

The cost of financing the increase in the lease is a qualifying purpose and therefore interest is allowable on this element.

Nigel Lord
nigel@lordassociates.co.uk

stig

Postby stig » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:56 am

Nigel

A result!

Thanks

Stig

AlanRob

Postby AlanRob » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:42 am

Nigel

An interesting discussion for me - thanks! One further question though. What if the equity released by remortgaging is used to buy another property for rental? Does it then become deductible from interest on the other property? Is there some way it can become deductible?

Thanks.

Return to “Property Taxation”