This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Probate an IHT

Chrissie18
Probate an IHT

Postby Chrissie18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi,

I am currently administering my late Mother’s Estate which is subject to IHT. All IHT forms have been sent to HMRC and the amount I calculated as owing has been paid by the bank. I have today received an email from the Probate Office advising me I can swear the oath in order to receive Probate. My question is:

The Grant of Representation has a £ value on it. What happens if HMRC query the value of the Estate (the only thing they could query is the value of the property, I had 3 x Estate Agent valuations which I sent off with the forms)? Surely the Probate value could then change?

Also, anyone know what the backlog at HMRC is at the moment?

many thanks in advance.

Lee Young

Re: Probate an IHT

Postby Lee Young » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:26 pm

It does not matter to the grant of representation if the value of the estate changes.

There is delay with HMRC but you just have to keep on to them.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”