This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Problems receiving P45

alxtodd
Problems receiving P45

Postby alxtodd » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi all,

First time posting on the forum and hoping someone can help me out with my problem receiving a P45 from a previous employer.

The agency I previously worked for until December recently disbanded in the UK and all employees were TUPE'd into new roles at another local company.
I had serious issues with the HR department as it mainly involved contacting people in the US, while I worked there they continually got my address and tax code wrong meaning I didn't receive several pay slips while working there over 6 months. Basically I realised I have likely been on the wrong Tax code since July, my new employer's HR department have been really helpful resolving the issues I've had and now I'm on the right code and receiving a tax refund for the time period since I joined them in December.

The problem now according to HR, is that if I wish to receive a tax refund for the previous months before I was employed by the new company I require a P45. Which my old employer has not sent me. Now that they have no office in the UK my only hope is to contact them through the US office which have not responded to emails for over a week now. Basically I want to know, what are my options going forward? Is there a method I can take to resolve this without receiving a P45? If I contact HRMC and explain the issue can they resolve the matter over the phone?

Thank you in advance for your help

pawncob

Re: Problems receiving P45

Postby pawncob » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes. Complete a tax return (assuming you have the info)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”