This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

property development

pmus2017

Postby pmus2017 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:51 am

I would like to start sustainably renovating homes and wondered whether I can avoid some of the CGT. I will be living in rented accomodation whilst doing-up these properties and then selling them on. Would I need to live in these properties for a period, and if so how long? Also I hear that properties are VAT exempt here, so I couldn't be VAT registered and thus reclaim the VAT on anything I spend?

hq@vatease.co.uk

Postby hq@vatease.co.uk » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:31 am

although you may not be able to become VAT registered, you may qualify for a charge of reduced rate VAT. If you need any further information please contact me.

Kind regards
Simone Hurst-Franks
Principal Consultant
VATease
0121 778 4299

demetris

Postby demetris » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:29 am

Regarding the CGT position, living three months in each of those properties before selling should be enough to etablish a main residence in the eyes of the taxman and thus exempt the gain.

I hope this helps.
Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE weekly newsletters on tax savings and business advice and you will automatically be sent your FREE Special Report on How to Sav Tax, written in plain language, full of down to earth advice and loaded with practical examples.

Neale

Postby Neale » Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:36 pm

Exercise care, The evenue are likely to look at motives when deciding whether you are conducting a trade. If they decide you are then profits are taxed as income. It seems probable that registration/recovery of VAT might encourage a conclusion that you were trading rather than occupying a property as PPR.

neale@coules.com

hq@vatease.co.uk

Postby hq@vatease.co.uk » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:01 am

Tony,
When you make the sale of the house it may be a VAT exempt transaction as it is "second-hand". This means that the VAT may not be recoverable. If you include this in your VAT registered business you may be able to take advantage of a special scheme which means you may be able to get more VAT back.
In addition to this, depending on the facts, there may be some scope for the reduced rate of 5% to be charged to you and finally if it is a listed building there may be even more scope for 0% VAT to be charged to you by the developer!
Complicated area and I do suggest that you invest a bit of money in taking professional advice, (my number is at bottom of this response if you want to contact me) because I'm sure there will be some savings to be made somewhere.
Good luck!
Kind regards
Simone Hurst-Franks
Principal
VATease - 0121 778 4299

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”