This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property 'swaps' after splitting up

sjmanchester
Property 'swaps' after splitting up

Postby sjmanchester » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 pm

My long term partner and I recently split up. We were never married. We are both 70.

We own two assets together - the house I live in (and she used to live in) as joint tenants - plus another flat that we would rent out for income (as tenants in common with equal share).

I want to give her my share in the rented flat, so that she owns that herself outrightly.

I then want to remove her from the deeds of my property, so I will be the sole owner.

The house I live in is worth around £1million, the rented flat £600,000.

Our solicitor said we face possible capital gains tax and stamp duty implications. What are our options to mitigate these? We intend for both these properties to eventually go to our children and so want to maximise the amount they get.

Many thanks for your help.

pawncob

Re: Property 'swaps' after splitting up

Postby pawncob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 am

As you're not married, CGT is applicable to the part disposal of the flat. PPR is available for the house.
It's too late for tax planning.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”