This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Realised gains

broomstick
Realised gains

Postby broomstick » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:05 am

Having traded as a Limited Company since 1997, I have now taken a Staff position with a company on a PAYE basis. This will be the first year that my company will not make any trading profits, although I have a number of investments in small AIM companies, until this year showing a capital loss. Much to my delight one of the shares has gone ballistic and I am now sitting with a huge capital gain although not realised.

Aware of all the disadvantages of investing this way and possibility of the company being treated as a CIC - but would appreciate any advice on what to do now the stable door is open and the horse has bolted!! I am looking at around £550,000 in the company with a 65% gain.

My initial question to the board would be can I utilise realised gains in much the same way as trading profits and transfer £40,000 into my SIPP as a Directors Contribution????

Many thanks in advance on ant replies

pawncob

Re: Realised gains

Postby pawncob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Who made the gain? You or the LTD?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

broomstick

Postby broomstick » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:17 pm

It was the Limited Company that made the gain. Thanks.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:28 pm

If the gains are realised then they're the same as any other profits, so assuming the sum is paid to you as income, it should qualify.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Since there is a single rate if CT now, being a closed investment compoany does not have the downside it used to have.

broomstick

Postby broomstick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Many thanks for the replies pawncob and bd6759 and apologies for a tardy late response back.

Hopefully I can transfer a Directors Contribution this year to my SIPP and also consider closing my company down

Appreciated

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Careful with the pension contrition. If it is a personal pension plan it will have to be withdrawn as a salary/dividend first before you pay it into the pension. Also, if this is the case you need to make sure you have enough 'relevant earnings'.

With the sums of money you are talking about, I would go an see an accountant/tax adviser as there could be potential to save/lose thousands in paying necessary tax...

Return to “Business Tax”