This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Receiving a large cash gift from family abroad

solari
Re: Receiving a large cash gift from family abroad

Postby solari » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Obviously she'd put her Turkish address on the letter of gift.If the money is transferred to a UK bank account ( and accepted) it's likely to satisfy any questions from a solicitor anxious about MLR.
Agreed but... surely if it were that simple then criminals engaging in money laundering would just do the same thing and get away with it easily. It's not hard to make up a random person in another country and pretend they're you're family member and write the letter yourself.

Is it really enough to just do that? Lol genuinely concerned...

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 pm

If it's genuine you have nothing to fear.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

solari

Postby solari » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am

If it's genuine you have nothing to fear.
Not really though... as far as I understand, the burden of proof lies upon me, not the solicitor.

Therefore whilst my claim is genuine, if the letter is easy to fake, it may not qualify as valid proof... therefore I do have something to worry about, no?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:24 pm

If it's genuine you have nothing to fear. Please think about that sentence.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

solari

Postby solari » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:46 pm

If it's genuine you have nothing to fear. Please think about that sentence.
Oh okay

solari

Postby solari » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:02 am

Okay so, lastly, is it necessary that the cash gift comes from an account in her name? or is it fine if she uses a transfer service that sends it via a third party?

someone

Postby someone » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 am

What you do isn't important. What is important is whether you can convince an independent party that the funds are not the proceeds of crime and you are not money laundering.

The penalties are severe. It is not your solicitors job to judge you but to convince themselves that the money is legit. If they are suspicious then they have to refer it (and I'm pretty sure they cannot let you know they've done that) I think that will cover the solicitor but better for you if they're sufficiently confident that the money is legit that they don't need to refer it at all. Having a copy of a letter from your aunt saying that she's making a gift paid via X is one piece of evidence to convince them. (additionally, some mortgages might need that letter too as there's a different risk if it's a loan)

If the authorities believe the money is the proceeds of crime then they can confiscate it, leaving you with the problem of proving they are legal funds to get it back.

If the funds are legal then you have nothing to worry about - but it makes sense to be prepared.

People give money to family all the time and there is rarely a problem.

solari

Postby solari » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Okay appreciated.

So on the letter from her, which I'm going to get translated and stamped by the foreign ministry... what details do I need?

Her full name
The date on which she is making the gift
The amount of the gift
The method that she's using for sending me the gift

Anything else?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Your grandmother has £500k of spare cash. Why the necessity to do this on the cheap with advice from an anonymous internet forum. The cost of a solicitor now will be much less than the cost of a solictor to recover the money if it is confiscated under POCA.

solari

Postby solari » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am

What kind of solicitor would I need?

Return to “General”