This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reclaiming VAT on a 95% new build

Quovadis
Reclaiming VAT on a 95% new build

Postby Quovadis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 pm

I understood I could claim VAT on a virtual new build I did a few year back (approx 6 ) the claim was rebuffed by the VAT office as NOT being a new build . however I have seen similar cases where claims have been upheld ... this is because the house is positioned on a corner plot, and had no more than two external walls left from the original being the facade, which was identical to my planning application .... Should I make a fresh claim or is it to late now , and if I can reopen the claim how is the best way to do it . I have also read that if I did sell the house at some stage I would need to pay this back Is this true ??

les35

Re: Reclaiming VAT on a 95% new build

Postby les35 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:07 pm

There is a four year window to claim VAT if you are registered. If you are describing a DIY claim, then the window is only three months from Completion.
The 95% new-build is a mis-nomer. A new build is a building built entirely from the ground up. There is an exception which you refer to, which is where the facade is retained as a condition of planning.

As is often, and rightly, said; it is always better to seek advice before you build, not afterwards!

Quovadis

Postby Quovadis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Thank you for your comments ... Appreciate the window to claim has long passed , but if it has been rejected incorrectly , is it possible to "ask the question" via a complaint procedure or other routes if more appropriate ?

les35

Postby les35 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm

HMRC generally only consider reviews or appeals within one month of the rejection decision.
If it is later, you have a make a case for them to review 'out of time.'
If it is much later, no chance!

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”