This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Recording transaction fees

id5d
Recording transaction fees

Postby id5d » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Quick question.

I've just had my first ever credit card payment via Stripe.
Payment is for £11.25 but after Stripe have taken their fee it'll be £10.89 when it hits my bank account.

How do I record this in my records?
Can I just put £10.89 income?
Do I have to put £11.25 then put the difference as an expense?

While the latter is more thorough, Simply recording the money that actually gets to me as income would be a whole lot easier for my particular needs.

wamstax

Re: Recording transaction fees

Postby wamstax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Unfortunately my view would that you would have to record the gross sale and then also record as an expense the fees charged by the cc company
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

id5d

Re: Recording transaction fees

Postby id5d » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Unfortunately my view would that you would have to record the gross sale and then also record as an expense the fees charged by the cc company
I thought that would be the most precise measurement. However, As I'm starting out I'm looking to be consistent, and I'll want to try out one of the automated services later in the year.

It's hard to know exactly how good they are until you actually try them, but from the looks of it a lot of them rely on plugging into your bank account and suggesting it's easy as easy as just tagging the entries.
So they're only going to see the raw cash coming in and not the gross.

Return to “Business Tax”