This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Requesting to pay underpaid tax in full

Tompoc1965
Requesting to pay underpaid tax in full

Postby Tompoc1965 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:36 pm

I owe around £1100 in underpaid PAYE, which I do not dispute. Because of the amount, HMRC are collecting this via my 2024/25 tax code. This will cause complications because it will push me into higher rate tax when I should not be. I would rather just pay the amount in full now. Can I insist on this? I am not on self assessment. Thanks.

D&C

Re: Requesting to pay underpaid tax in full

Postby D&C » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:15 pm

You don't need to insist on anything, just make a voluntary payment of the tax owed and shortly after that HMRC will automatically update your tax code to remove the underpayment you have voluntarily paid.

If you make the payment now (which can probably be done via your personal tax account) then there should be enough time for HMRC to issue a new tax code for the start of the next tax year.

Tompoc1965

Postby Tompoc1965 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:31 pm

Thanks for that, but there is no amount showing as outstanding on the online tax account, as they have already adjusted it to next year's code. So I can't see any mechanism for making the payment?

D&C

Postby D&C » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:21 pm

Send a cheque then, making it clear what the payment is for (your National Insurance number will be important).

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”