This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Residence Nil Rate Band

sigmund
Residence Nil Rate Band

Postby sigmund » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 pm

My wife and I held our house (our sole residence) as joint tenants and, on her recent death, I automatically became the sole owner.

I understand that if I leave the house in my will to a direct descendant (e.g. daughter) that, in the event of my death, the residence nil rate band for both myself and my wife can be applied to my estate to off-set any IHT. However, I have two daughters and I would like to leave the property equally to them both as, for example, tenants in common. Would that still count in order to obtain the residence nil rate bands, or can I only leave it to one daughter?

Can anyone help? I find it most puzzling as all the literature only seems to refer merely to a direct descendent, i.e one descendent.

AGoodman

Re: Residence Nil Rate Band

Postby AGoodman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Yes, that's absolutely fine

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”