This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Returning to the UK ( after 20 yrs away )

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:34 am

Returning to the UK ( after 20 yrs away )

Postby ExpatSince1997 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:46 am

I am uk national, and have been away from the UK for over 20 yrs and will be returning on a full time basis over the next couple of years. I am starting to do some simple admin on my circumstances, that allow me to return home and make sure i am covering any requirements in advance.
The main issue that i am trying to get advice on, is that i will be a shareholder and none exec director of several companies that are in locations where i have lived and worked over the 20 yrs away; namely Hong Kong and Malaysia.
I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on holding shareholding and most importantly the dividend payment, allowing for this to be paid to me in the most effective manner. Currently these shareholding are in my personal name only, not via a SPV or holding company.

Any advice or relevant pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 768
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: Returning to the UK ( after 20 yrs away )

Postby AGoodman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:42 am

I can't think of anything you can do in relation to the dividend short of give the shares away to an adult child (who would then be taxed on dividends). There are understandably very wide anti-avoidance provisions in place to prevent you avoiding income tax.

If the shares are standing at a very large gain, you might want to seek to rebase the acquisition value by e.g. transfer them to a trust or perhaps a company - rebasing the value to current market value. This would be pointless if your current country of residence will tax you. You should get proper advice if considering this as there are all sorts of implications, including IHT, to consider.

Return to “International Tax”