This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Right to buy discount and capital gains

Beary
Right to buy discount and capital gains

Postby Beary » Sun May 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi

How does capital gains get calculated when the council has given you a discount when purchasing?

E.g. Purchase price is £100000 but discount received reducing the amount paid to £50000
After either living abroad or letting it out, you sell it for say, £120000, is the gain the increase in value (£20000) or the difference received (£70000)
HMRC calc suggests the increase in value but I'm not sure
Thanks

AGoodman

Re: Right to buy discount and capital gains

Postby AGoodman » Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 am

HMRC are correct, your starting point is £70k. From that you may be able to deduct some ordinary PPR and lettings relief

Maria2785

Re: Right to buy discount and capital gains

Postby Maria2785 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 am

I know this is an older post but I am in a similar position. When using HMRC CGT calculator it asks the question "did you purchase the property at less than its value because the seller wanted to help". Surely the answer to this is Yes? If so than the CGT calculator uses the property value rather than the purchase price to calculate the gain.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”