This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SA900 and transfer of shares out of trust

jokerman
SA900 and transfer of shares out of trust

Postby jokerman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi - hope somebody can help.

I'm filling in the SA900. During the year there was a transfer of shares out of trust to beneficiaries. Do I declare this as
1. CGT item (with a gain of zero because gain held over);
or
2. An annual distribution of capital in question 11 (actual question is : Were any annual payments made out of capital or out of income not brought into charge to Income Tax?)
or both?

Does it matter if I send in the IHT100 forms after the return or do they need to be submitted before?

Also, there is a question in CG4: "If the trust was made after 6 June 1978 how many trusts that were made after 6 June 1978 by the settlor of this trust still existed during the year to 5 April 2018?" - does this mean all types of trust or trusts of this same type? e.g. would I count discretionary and IIP trusts?

Would appreciate any help - thanks!

AGoodman

Re: SA900 and transfer of shares out of trust

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

option 1. Q11 is dealing with a specific issue which is unlikely to apply if you have just decided to distribute some shares.

IHT100 - normal deadline applies. They are dealt with separately.

CG question - you would count them all as the question is to do with the annual CGT exemption applicable to the trusts (essentially, you divide the available exemption by the no. of trusts)

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”