This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT on a Partial Sale

adamh
SDLT on a Partial Sale

Postby adamh » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:23 am

Hi,

If I sell a 50% share of my house valued at £3 million to my son, who pays £1.5 million for it, how much SDLT will he have to pay?

(He lives here and has no other property.)

SDLT Geek

Re: SDLT on a Partial Sale

Postby SDLT Geek » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 am

£93,750. See the online calculator here: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculat ... ax/#/intro

I am assuming there are no other factors that make the higher rates of stamp duty land tax apply, such as him having a spouse with a property.

RMC

Postby RMC » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:03 pm

You will also have to pay CGT. Calculation is at
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculat ... properties

RMC

Postby RMC » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:11 pm

But PPR CGT exemption applies if the property was also your main residence.

adamh

Postby adamh » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 am

Thanks. It is currently my PPR.

If I actually sell 50% to my son for £1.5m and 50% to my cousin for £1.5m would they pay £93,750 each? Or would it breach the 12% threshold?

adamh

Postby adamh » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:21 am

(and I move elsewhere)

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:58 am

If your son and your cousin are joint buyers then one looks at the SDLT on the whole £3M as it is a single transaction. If the surcharge is not due the SDLT would be £273,750.

But the surcharge might be due if your cousin has another property and is not replacing his main residence. If so then on a joint purchase by your son and your cousin the SDLT would be £363,750.

Is there a possibility that your son buys a half share in one transaction and your cousin the other half share in a different transaction? Things could be more contentious there as HMRC might say that even with a substantial time interval between, the two purchases form part of a single transaction.

HMRC should not be able to argue however that they are two linked transactions. If it can be established that there are two transactions they should not be linked because your son and your cousin are not "connected persons". If there are separate transactions your son would pay £93,750 and your cousin the same amount or, if he has to pay the surcharge, £138,750.

You say you will move out, but you do not say who is to move in.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”