This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT on Leases Extension where Freehold held under Deed of Trust

efreckel
SDLT on Leases Extension where Freehold held under Deed of Trust

Postby efreckel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am

Hello

I own a flat in a block of three and, with the other leaseholders, we have purchased the freehold to our apartment block. This freehold is owned by us under a deed of trust with each shared of the freehold reflecting the underlying apportionment between the flats. We purchased the freehold in October 2016 for £40k and are now looking to extend our leases under a deed of variation. I'm a little unsure on the SDLT position, and I'm not sure if we need to worry about CGT as well, as all HMRC guidance I've been able to find is unclear (that's being polite).

Would I be correct to understand that, to the extent there is no consideration payable for the lease extension, there should not be any SDLT?

Any pointers on CGT, as it's related, would be gratefully received too!

Thanks

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”