This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT on part of 2nd property gifted to daughter

ollie
SDLT on part of 2nd property gifted to daughter

Postby ollie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 pm

I have a second home, value £300,000 with outstanding mortgage of £100,000. I am considering giving a 10% part of the property to my daughter (who already owns a property as her main residence). Her name would appear on the mortgage. I understand the CGT implications but am not sure about SDLT liability and have taken a look through previous posts: would my daughter be liable for SDLT, at the 3% premium rate, on 10% of the mortgage i.e. on £10,000?
With thanks for any replies.

SDLT Geek

Re: SDLT on part of 2nd property gifted to daughter

Postby SDLT Geek » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:32 am

From what you say it is likely that the chargeable consideration is £10,000. Assuming there are no linked transactions then at this level there is no SDLT. The SDLT higher rates bite where the chargeable consideration is £40,000 or more.

ollie

Re: SDLT on part of 2nd property gifted to daughter

Postby ollie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Many thanks SDLT Geek.
Ollie

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”