This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Search found 112 matches

Go to advanced search

by Brightonian
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:02 pm
Forum: International Tax
Topic: DTA interpretation - practical aspects
Replies: 2
Views: 1605

DTA interpretation - practical aspects

I have no experience of claiming relief under DTAs. I have a client, a dual UK/S African national, who went to work in Italy in 2014. I have completed returns for the last few years to show rental income on their UK property. I have shown him as non-resident by virtue of automatic overseas test 3, w...
by Brightonian
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:47 am
Forum: Income Tax
Topic: Trading Income Allowance and non-exec director
Replies: 4
Views: 976

Re: Trading Income Allowance and non-exec director

Robbob,
Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Every year we seem to have some new provision or allowance which looks simple on the face of it but throws up miscellaneous problems in practice!
by Brightonian
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:15 am
Forum: Income Tax
Topic: Trading Income Allowance and non-exec director
Replies: 4
Views: 976

Re: Trading Income Allowance and non-exec director

Thank you for taking the time to respond. On your final point, however, it seems from the tax return notes that 'miscellaneous income from casual earnings, commission or freelance income' can be covered by the trading income allowance.
by Brightonian
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am
Forum: Income Tax
Topic: Trading Income Allowance and non-exec director
Replies: 4
Views: 976

Trading Income Allowance and non-exec director

I have a client who is a non-exec director. He is paid a small amount each year - for 17/18, it was three payments of £200, so £600 for the year. I have previously pointed out that he is an office-holder and that these amounts should, in my opinion, be taxed under PAYE, but the organisation disagree...
by Brightonian
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:28 pm
Forum: Property Taxation
Topic: Residential finance costs
Replies: 0
Views: 1070

Residential finance costs

I am preparing a return for a client whose total taxable income consists of rental income and is below the personal allowance. After deducting 75% of loan interest and normal expenses, I am left with profit of around £1,000. I have excess finance costs (the remaining 25% of loan interest paid in the...
by Brightonian
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 am
Forum: Income Tax
Topic: Pension arrears paid after death
Replies: 4
Views: 1194

Re: Pension arrears paid after death

Having looked at the information on arrears, it looks as though HMRC can assess only 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17. Is this correct? The pensioner died in February 2017, even though the arrears have just recently been paid. They have been paid to the daughter but presumably HMRC will assess ...
by Brightonian
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:04 pm
Forum: Income Tax
Topic: Pension arrears paid after death
Replies: 4
Views: 1194

Re: Pension arrears paid after death

Dear pawncob,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I will check out the links you posted.
Kind regards.
by Brightonian
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:24 pm
Forum: Income Tax
Topic: Pension arrears paid after death
Replies: 4
Views: 1194

Pension arrears paid after death

I have a client whose mother died a year ago. The estate was well below the IHT nil rate band - £118,000 roughly. Last week, out of the blue, she received a letter DWP. It seems that they had underpaid her mother's pension from 2009 until her death. They enclosed a cheque, made payable to my client,...
by Brightonian
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm
Forum: HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods
Topic: Debt collection
Replies: 5
Views: 17349

Re: Debt collection

Thank you all for your replies. There is indeed a hard luck story behind all this. The taxpayer's wife died in her Forties a few years ago and he has not been the same since. I think it may have affected his work, with the result that he has earned less than in the past. However, I began acting for ...
by Brightonian
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:11 pm
Forum: HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods
Topic: Debt collection
Replies: 5
Views: 17349

Re: Debt collection

Thanks, robbob. That's very helpful. It's the interest issue that really upset him. He is disorganised but he has always paid on time before. There's been some unfortunate family circumstances which seem to have derailed him. It didn't help that he sent me his tax return information on the afternoon...

Go to advanced search