This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self assessment / annual investment allowance

SEBarrell
Self assessment / annual investment allowance

Postby SEBarrell » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Is the annual investment allowance counted as part of overall expenses - for sole trader/self-assessment? Or are the two things seen as entirely separate?

I was told by an accountant years ago, to try and keep my exes at no more than about 25% of my income, to avoid getting unwanted attention from HMRC.
However, a big annual investment expense such as a new computer etc, significantly pushes up the overall percentage of earnings/exes.

SteLacca

Re: Self assessment / annual investment allowance

Postby SteLacca » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

AIA and general expenses are shown separately. AIA represents capital expenditure, whereas general expenses represent revenue expenditure.

Having said that, I have to question the advice that you've been given. If expenses have been incurred for the business, then they should be included regardless of any arbitrary ratio.

bd6759

Re: Self assessment / annual investment allowance

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Expenses are things that are shown in your profit and loss account. Income less expenses makes your profit.

AIA is a tax relief, claimed as a deduction from your profit.

Return to “Income Tax”