This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Seperation and two new purchases

jaller79
Seperation and two new purchases

Postby jaller79 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm

I currentl have a buy to let property in joint names with my wife

We live in our family home - but are seperating.

The plan is to within 36 months - as follows :

Myself leave main residence and buy a new property -

Then 6 month later the main house is sold and my wife will then move to her own property -

I assume the rule will follow as below

I pay 3% on new home and when she sell the existing property and buys in here her own name I can then claim back my payment as we will both in effect be moving to a single main property.

Advice appreciated rather than writting to HMRC - direct.

Thanks all

John

SDLT Geek

Re: Seperation and two new purchases

Postby SDLT Geek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I agree that you will be able to recover the 3% surcharge you have to pay on your purchase of a new home to live in, the recovery following the sale of the former matrimonial home.

The problem comes on your wife's purchase if she still has the half share in the buy to let. The way I read FA2003/Sch4ZA/para8, if the sale of the FMH has been used once to enable you to recover the surcharge already paid, the sale cannot be used again by your wife as part of the replacement exception on her purchase.

jaller79

Re: Seperation and two new purchases

Postby jaller79 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks this is indeed complex beyond belief - even asking the question to HMRC is problematic with them asking to write in only to get an answer.

thanks

John A

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”