This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty on HoldCo insertation - retaining Trade Co Shares

AnthonyR
Stamp Duty on HoldCo insertation - retaining Trade Co Shares

Postby AnthonyR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I have a client that is looking to put a holding company in place above his trading company and we have been discussing a straightforward share for share transaction that would have been exempt from SD under s.77.

However, it now appears that a minority shareholder (5% holding) wants to keep his shares in the Tradeco and not transfer into Holdco. This is because holdco is likely to invest profits into a selection of rental properties and it's likely that Tradeco will be sold in future and Holdco retained, so the minority shareholder wants to get his 5% payout on sale, while the 95% shareholder is quite happy for the funds to go into Holdco.

As far as I can see this scuppers the SD exemption as the shareholding in the Holdco will not include the 5% shareholding by Mr Minority post share for share.

Am I right in this, or am I missing a handy exemption?
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”