This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty with a property abroad.

darioolivares
Stamp duty with a property abroad.

Postby darioolivares » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:19 pm

HI all,

I have a house abroad since 2006. It has never been my main residence as I rented since I bought it. My plan is to sell the house in the near future as i do not get any profit from it as the rent is lower than the mortgage.

I am also in the process of buying a house in England with my girlfriend (she does not have a house elsewhere). We are living in a rented property.

Is there a way to escape the 3% SDLT for second residence?

Thank you very much.

bd6759

Re: Stamp duty with a property abroad.

Postby bd6759 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Is there a way to escape the 3% SDLT for second residence?
Yes. Sell your other house first.

darioolivares

Postby darioolivares » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm

thanks for the reply.

I dont think that is a possible solution as it is not my main house. My understanding is that you can claim the refund only when you change your main residence.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 pm

The problem arises because you end up owning more than one property i.e. new residence and buy to let.

Refund of the 3% if paid is only available if you sell one residence and replace with the purchase of another residence; you're not doing this.

Hence need to sell buy to let first.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”