This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax for working half month - leaving the UK and the job

afrikano
Tax for working half month - leaving the UK and the job

Postby afrikano » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi,

I have a quick questions. Let me explain to you.

I was working for 8 months in a UK company and I left now in November. I worked till the 19th of november.

As per our payroll department, I am supposed to get paid 870 gross for this month. The way this was calculated is 17400/12/5 x 13working days.

They made a mistake and paid me for the full month, 1247.90 net. Therefore they are claiming I owe them 394.40 net.

What they did is, I worked 13 days = gross 870. 1450 - 870= 580
Then they took off tax from 580 ( 32%) = 394.40 net.

My question is, where does this 32% Tax+NI comes from? since if I pay them back what they say, the balance would be around 850 net ( so paying around 20 for NI or tax)

Can someone explain me this? it looks like I am winning from their mistake, right? from my side it looks like they are assuming the loss of the tax by deducing it from what they overpaid to me in gross.

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Tax for working half month - leaving the UK and the job

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm

They will get the tax and NIC back form HMRC becasue they also paid that in error.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”