This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on company stock options (UK CSOP)

Michael886
Tax on company stock options (UK CSOP)

Postby Michael886 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:19 am

My current employer granted me a Stock Option package (UK Company Share Option Plan, CSOP) at the beginning of my employment, and all my stocks have now vested. As of January 1st this year I moved to Sweden from the UK and started working for my employer's Swedish entity. I now regard Sweden as my domicile.

There have been more than 3 years since the CSOP was granted and I would only need to pay capital gains tax as far as the HMRC is concerned.

My question is; what determines where and what I pay in tax? Is the tax date determined when the stock options are granted, vested, exercised or sold? Depending on which, is it the country I reside/resided in at the time that I pay taxes to?

As the CSOP is a UK scheme, would anything change since I started working under a Swedish employment contract?

Many thanks for the help.

AdamS93

Re: Tax on company stock options (UK CSOP)

Postby AdamS93 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:58 am

I now regard Sweden as my domicile.
I doubt HMRC will agree (unless you mean residency which are two very different things).

Only UK residents pay UK CGT (on shares anyway).

If you return to the UK within 5 years of departure, you will potentially be caught by some anti-avoidance rules.

Michael886

Re: Tax on company stock options (UK CSOP)

Postby Michael886 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 am

I doubt HMRC will agree (unless you mean residency which are two very different things).
I am a Swedish national and plan to stay indefinitely.

Return to “International Tax”