This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Early US Social Security Pension

Mikethebook
Tax on Early US Social Security Pension

Postby Mikethebook » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm

My wife, an American citizen, permanently resides and is self-employed in the UK. She is now receiving the US Social Security Pension - I think she calls it Retirement - several years before retirement age since she fulfils certain stipulations. I assume it is taxable in the UK but wonder whether it falls to be also taxed in the USA?

DavidTreitel

Re: Tax on Early US Social Security Pension

Postby DavidTreitel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:49 pm

As your wife is a US person she is doubtless filing an annual US tax return and FBAR. She'll find if she elects to use the US/UK tax treaty that US social security pension income is completely exempt from US tax. It is - in any event - UK taxable to a UK resident.

Mikethebook

Re: Tax on Early US Social Security Pension

Postby Mikethebook » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks for your reply. Is there a special form required to make the election since I'm unaware of any boxes to tick on the IRS return. My wife continues to pay self-employment taxes on her earnings so that she can claim her social security pension now instead of at the normal retirement age. I presume that the election does not cover self-employment taxes but it should cover income tax on her self-employment earnings, though these are covered anyway by the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Return to “International Tax”