This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Pension Lump Sum

ianb63
Tax on Pension Lump Sum

Postby ianb63 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi
I have 4 pension pots and I am looking at cashing in 2 of them as they are small amounts...1 of 4,000 and the other 8,000. The remaining 2 which I don't want to touch are worth 140,000 combined. I understand that I can take 25% tax free with tax paid on the remainder.
What I would like to know Is the tax free amount applied on the total of my 4 pots which would mean I wouldn't pay tax on the 12k or do I pay tax on the 4k & 8k. Hope you can help.
Many thanks
Ian

cliffordpope

Re: Tax on Pension Lump Sum

Postby cliffordpope » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:55 am

Rules may have changed of course, but when I was in your position a few years ago I could only take 25% of each pot individually - it wasn't aggregated notionally for tax purposes. So I moved my two smallest pots into the large one, and then could take 25% of the combined pot. If that figure is larger than you wish to draw, I believe you can take a proportion of the 25% and take the remainder later.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”