This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Rental Property for Care

Numpty
Tax on Rental Property for Care

Postby Numpty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:45 pm

My Dad arranged for his pension to go into an account he asked me to open in my name as he didn't trust my brother, things all ran smoothly until he went into care, he then asked me to open another account for rental from his property to go in to, I did this, and though both accounts are kept separate to mine and only go on his needs, I have concerns as to whether this effects my Income Tax as I am on Contribution based ESA?

bd6759

Re: Tax on Rental Property for Care

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 am

I'd be more concerned about the tax implications if your dad isn't declaring the income.

maths

Re: Tax on Rental Property for Care

Postby maths » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm

The inference from your post is that although two accounts are in your name you hold them as trustee/nominee for your father.

If HMRC or any other body make any enquiries you need to be in a position to demonstrate the above if my understanding is correct.

As bd's post suggests your father would need to declare both his pension and the rental income which would heavily support the above.

Return to “Income Tax”