This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax on salary brought into uk, non resident.

royboy1
tax on salary brought into uk, non resident.

Postby royboy1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:48 am

Hi
I need some advice as I may have done something very silly with regards to tax.

I am a uk citizen, living in Thailand for 16 years as non uk resident.
(I have never filled any forms out for this, I just left)
I have paid no tax in Thailand but have been there over 186 days a year.
I have no idea what my Dom is at present or if it’s relevant to what I have done.
I have earned a large amount of money offshore on ships in different parts of the world.
as a seafarer for the last 20 years, I have paid some tax in different countries over the years but not much.
All money was earned outside the uk, I had my salary paid into an offshore Santander jersey account, all money is savings from the last 20 years of salary
I took voluntary redundancy in 2014 and have been retired to present.
I decided to invest in property in the uk in tax year 2016-2017 and bought a flat for 140k,
do I have to pay tax on bringing that money over ? I did not live in the flat, I did pay the higher stamp duty on the place as an investment property.
I understand I will pay tax on the rental income if it’s over 11k a year, that’s not a problem, ( hope I still get the 11k allowance per tax year for earnings )
But what about the initial amount I brought over, have I shot myself in the foot ?
I did spend 154 days in the uk looking for property that year.
Also I bought a house this year 2017-2018 tax year for 189k and spent
And spent 88 days in the uk to complete that.
I do pay class 2 NI every year, for the last 6 years.
Any previous tax years, i have spent less than 2 weeks in the uk. In any given year, some years no days in the Uk at all.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Roy boy

bd6759

Re: tax on salary brought into uk, non resident.

Postby bd6759 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 am

You are fine. Income is generally taxable when it is earned, not when it is spent. If the income was earned whlst you were not resident, there are no UK tax consequences.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Also of point, yes you are still entitled to a personal allowance as you are a UK citizen.

There are ongoing discussion however on restricting this for non residents.

royboy1

Postby royboy1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 am

Thank you for your replies.
Looks like i will be ok,
That's also good news about still getting the 11 tax allowance.
Thank you again
I do have a few more questions, i will post them in a few days time.
Thanks again.

Return to “Income Tax”