This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax position of returned ex-pat

sj_231
Tax position of returned ex-pat

Postby sj_231 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm

I have three questions, which I would be grateful for advice on.

I lived, worked and paid taxes in Australia and The Netherlands, 1997-2007. I would have been classified as a non resident for tax purposes as I spent considerably less than 45 days per year in the UK.

Upon return to the UK (April 2007, for a new job here) I moved any savings and the proceeds of a house sale in The Netherlands to the UK. The only existing offshore assets are pension funds from my work overseas, which I do not draw from yet – and will not for the next 10 years. I retained a (joint) bank account in The Netherlands, in case of returning, but this has had no funds in it since departing.

1) Were there any tax implications of bringing money into the UK from overseas bank accounts?

2) Is it therefore correct to say that I do not have any offshore income, assets or gains on which UK tax may be due, I have sold them all and paid all outstanding tax?

3) With respect to the non-UK pensions, what is the UK policy on taxing non-UK derived pensions (earned while a non-UK resident) after returning to the UK?

Return to “International Tax”