This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax return if below threshold

marispiper
Tax return if below threshold

Postby marispiper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 am

If i'm below the threshold for paying income tax, is there anything to be gained from adding expenditure etc to bring my total earnings down further?

JRG

Re: Tax return if below threshold

Postby JRG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 am

There's nothing to be gained regarding income tax, except to record expenditure for historical purposes in case you might be above the threshold in the future.

marispiper

Postby marispiper » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes I'll be over the threshold by next year's return - so i guess maybe it'd be useful to record outgoings. Thanks JRG.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Will the expenses create a loss, which may be able to be used against future profits?

marispiper

Postby marispiper » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:46 pm

No, there won't be a loss. Is that the only way they'd be useful historically?

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Unfortunately, yes. If there's no taxable profit and no loss to carry forward, then there is little value.

If any expenses represent capital purchases which would qualify for capital allowances, then you can disclaim the capital allowances and carry forward the opening balance (or purchase cost) to later years to mitigate future liabilities. If not, then keep the records in a shoe box in case HMRC ever challenge you and forget about them.

marispiper

Postby marispiper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Thank you SteLacca - that's just the answer i was hoping for.

Return to “Income Tax”