This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax returns for earlier years

Yiannis17
Tax returns for earlier years

Postby Yiannis17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:46 am

Hello

I have someone who has registered for self employment for the 2018 tax year and HMRC have issued him with a notice to complete a 2018 tax return . He now informs me he should have registered in 2015 and wants to come clean. Can he submit tax returns fro the earlier years now and of so what would be the penalties?

Thank you

AdamS93

Re: Tax returns for earlier years

Postby AdamS93 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 am

He would be subject to the penalties for 'failing to notify'.

I believe they are tax geared penalties. The percentage will depend on the actions of your client (as more than 12 months I believe the minimum penalty will be 10% of unpaid tax if an unprompted disclosure).

Return to “Income Tax”