This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation of EIS and non EIS shares in same company

bob010109
Taxation of EIS and non EIS shares in same company

Postby bob010109 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 pm

I subscribed to 100 shares in 'XYZ', an EIS company 10 years ago which has subsequently become traded on AIM. My relative (not my spouse) also subscribed for 100 shares in the same company under the EIS scheme.

The relative is now dead and I have inherited 100 shares which are not subject to EIS rules anymore. I therefore now hold 100 shares on which there is no CGT if sold as it is held by myself under the EIS scheme, and 100 which is treated as normal shares which are subject to CGT, my acquisition cost being that on date of death. The 100 EIS shares carry a substantial gain, the 100 inherited shares do not and may carry a small loss.

If I sell 50 shares now, how is this taxed?

(a) can I elect to continue to hold my 100 EIS shares and sell 50 of the inherited shares?
(b) am I forced to amalgamate the shares and sell 25 of the EIS shares and 25 of the non EIS shares?
(c) am I forced to choose FIFO?

Many thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”