This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation on abroad property

R34
Taxation on abroad property

Postby R34 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a taxation of a foreign property.

Im currently looking into buying a house in France, my country of origin. This house will provide no income (it will be rented for free to my parents, as they both have very low income), but will be bought out of a loan.

To make sure I understand fully the financial consequences of such an acquisition, could you help me understand what would be the taxation in the UK of such an investment? I've been living her for 6 years, about to get my citizenship, and planning on spending most of my future here.

Thanks for your help,
Regards

pawncob

Re: Taxation on abroad property

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 pm

If there's no income, you can ignore it for Income Tax purposes.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

R34

Postby R34 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

Could you confirm what would have happened if I was receiving a rent from the property? Would some dual taxation relief apply, assuming, I would be paying taxes in France?

Thanks again.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:37 pm

As you are UK resident you'll pay tax on income from France. If income is taxed in France as well you'll get DTR on that tax.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”