This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation on investments on a deceased person's in USA

dianadod
Taxation on investments on a deceased person's in USA

Postby dianadod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:40 pm

My sister has recently passed away in the USA. She was a US citizen and had a portfolio of investment, some subject to tax. I am a named benbeneficiary but have been told to claim I need a US Tax Reference number. Nobody seems to know why and how to obtain this reference. I do not currently pay UK tax as my pension income is below the tax allowance threshold. Can you advise me what my position is and how to proceed?

DavidTreitel

Re: Taxation on investments on a deceased person's in USA

Postby DavidTreitel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Diana - I am sorry to hear of your loss. I was the first IRS Certified Acceptance Agent in the UK back in the year 2000 and these days help several hundred people each year obtain an ITIN (a US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) in situations jut like yours. Please feel free to get in touch.

With kind regards

David Treitel | Managing Director | American Tax Returns Ltd
The Old Exchange, 12 Compton Road, London, SW19 7QD

Tel: 020 3542 6330

Email: david.treitel@americantaxreturns.co.uk

Return to “International Tax”