This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

The Dreaded Stamp Duty Conundrum

Mary1
The Dreaded Stamp Duty Conundrum

Postby Mary1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Dear All,

I own and live in a flat as my main domicile. I also own another flat as an investment property. I wish to sell my main domicile and buy a new main domicile with the proceeds, keeping the investment property to supplement my income.

Am I liable for the extra 3% stamp duty as I own a second property or am I exempt because I’m buying and selling my main domicile? I’ve had two different opinions and wondered if anyone had the definitive answer. My main domicile flat is owned solely by myself, no others are involved.

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere in this Forum! :)

maths

Re: The Dreaded Stamp Duty Conundrum

Postby maths » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:59 pm

There is an exemption from the 3% charge where the purchased dwelling replaces a previous dwelling which appears to be your scenario.

This applies irrespective of your other let property.

Return to “Property Taxation”